Thursday, July 23, 2015

Running Through Hugo's Back Yard 8: Hyperion

Hugo winner: Hyperion by Dan Simmons, 1990

My view: if you think that winning this award is going to sway my opinion as to whether or not I'm going to read the book, you're wrong. Actually, this is not the most recent winner for best novel I've read (my mistake, but at least I was close) as I originally stated. That's not so much a negative comment on my reading habits as it is on my apparent lack of need to read every last book that's won a Hugo. Be that as it may, I really enjoyed this. There are parts of the Canterbury Tales-based protagonist-by-chapter format that I liked a lot more than others, but there's no denying it deserved the award.

Nuggety? Far too literary a book for that, although the "Soldier's Tale" section concerning Fedmahn Kassad might keep a Puppies' attention for a while. The rest, though? Not really.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newspaper of (W)rec(k)ord

 If you're a member of a conrunning organization, you know you're in serious trouble when the  Guardian  -  an internationally known...